Monday, October 20, 2008

I wish I wrote this

I'll tell you up front. I'm no doctor. I'm just a girl who has had migraines since age thirteen. The advice I'm about to give you was not taught to me, but discovered. I'll teach you how to reduce the symptoms of your migraine, the feeling of having an invisible pickaxe stuck in your forehead. At age 19, I started meditating. This is when I discovered the method. There are many different types of meditation. But the type I would like to share with you is called single-pointed meditation. In single-pointed meditation, the practitioner focuses all of his attention on one particular object—bringing focus and clarity to one's mind. Whenever I get a migraine, my eyes are sensitive to light. My head is thumping with explosions of pain. My stomach is queasy, as I am on the verge of barfing. So I go lie down on my bed and meditate single-pointedly. I first pick an object. I like to focus on my heart center, the feelings in my chest. I hold my heart center in my thoughts, with all of my awareness. Whenever my thoughts stray, I pull the reins of my mind, bringing focus back to the heart. When I have a migraine, the last thing I want to be doing is thinking about a bunch of stuff. I find that single-pointed meditation relaxes the mind. It feels so good that I usually drift off to sleep... Single-pointed meditation will bring your mind into balance too. Give it a shot, and let me know how it works for you.


No comments: